イベントスケジュール - COP25 JAPAN PAVILION
Approaches, Opportunities and Options for Enhancing Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs)
- Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA)
- United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
- World Resources Institute (WRI)
The Paris climate negotiations established 2020 as a key milestone in the global effort to fight climate change, requesting countries to put forward nationally determined contributions (NDCs) as part of the regular five-year cycles under the Agreement to strengthen ambition.
The rationale for updating NDCs, and particularly for enhancing mitigation ambition, continues to strengthen: The latest climate science underscores the need for ambitious, immediate action to keep the Paris Agreement goals in reach; technological advances increasingly facilitate ambitious action; and the alignment between ambitious climate action and socioeconomic benefits is increasingly well documented and understood.
However, countries may enhance their NDCs in ways that do not necessarily lead to greater emissions reductions, for example, by improving specificity and clarity of communication, and strengthening the strategy for implementation.
In this side-event, participants will discuss effective approaches, opportunities, and options for enhancing NDCs as well as insights and lessons learned from the preparatory process for implementing the existing NDCs, taking a few key sectors as examples. The event will also discuss challenges that countries may face in enhancing their NDCs, and possible options to overcome them as well as potential sources of support.
The event will consist of a few presentations followed by a panel discussion, including interactive discussions with the floor.
- Pham Van Tan, Department of Climate Change (DCC), Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment (MONRE), Vietnam, Deputy Director General
- Jun Ichihara, SPI-NAMA Project in Vietnam, Chief Advisor/Expert
- Kimberly Todd, Climate and Forests Team, UNDP, Technical Specialist
- David Waskow, International Climate Initiative, WRI, Director
- Subrata Chakrabarty, Climate, WRI India, Manager
- Paige Langer, WRI, Forest Program, Research Analyst
Agenda of the Event
David Waskow, Director, International Climate Initiative, WRI
NDC Enhancement guidance sector modules
Power (Electricity) Sector: Subrata Chakrabarty, Manager, Climate, WRI India
Forest and Land-use Sector: Paige Langer, Research Analyst, Forest Program, WRI
Moderator: David Waskow, WRI
- Pham Van Tan, Deputy Director General, DCC, MONRE, Vietnam
- Jun Ichihara, JICA Chief Advisor/Expert to SPI-NAMA Project in Vietnam
- Kimberly Todd, Technical Specialist, Climate and Forests Team, UNDP
- Subrata Chakrabarty, Manager, Climate, WRI India
Message and Results
- It is imperative to enhance NDCs to achieve the goals of Paris Agreement. Enhancing NDC provides countries with diverse benefits beyond contributions to achieving Paris goals.
- Various opportunities exist and options are available for enhancing NDCs. Overall and sectoral guidance for countries to identify such opportunities and options is available, such as NDC enhancement guidance series by UNDP and WRI.
- Enhancement of NDCs can benefit from taking stock of experience in the process for implementing NDCs.
Other Events On This Day
Sasakawa Peace Foundation, Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA)
City-University Collaboration for Enhancement of Urban Community Resilience ～Educational Partnerships for Innovation in Communities (EPIC)～
Ministry of the Environment, Japan (MOEJ)
Japan International Cooperation Agency
Institute for Global Environmental Strategies (IGES)